Re: Display drivers for ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) on Wheezy

On 09/19/2013 11:29 AM, Adrian Smith wrote:
Hi,

I installed Wheezy yesterday and on first boot Gnome failed to load
due to the lack of hardware accelerated graphics.

After a quick google I came across the AtiHowTo [1] page. It says I
need to install the proprietary firmware for my particular graphics
card. I did that by installing firmware-linux-nonfree as instructed.
After rebooting GNOME3 successfully loads. Success.

Shortly after I come across the ATIProprietary [2] page. It describes
how to install ATI's proprietary display driver.

So to my question; what's the difference between the proprietary,
binary-only firmware described in AtiHowto [1] and the AMD proprietary
display driver described in ATIProprietary [2]. Which one should I
use? Is it just a matter of personal preference? Does one offer better
performance over the other?

Thanks
Adrian

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary

[1] describes how to install proprietary firmware for the open source xorg driver "radeon".

[2] describes how to install proprietary ATI/AMD driver.

As far as I know, the proprietary driver has (better) 3D support.

HTH

Best regards
Georgi