Thank you - was [Re: Choosing among "Desktop Enviroments" and/or "Windows Managers"]

Richard Owlett wrote:
/Background
[snip]

/Questions
1. Given that I prefer LILO over GRUB and xfce over
Gnome/lxde/kde, what GUIs should I investigate further.
2. Given that internet is effectively non-existent and
internal/external disk space is effectively unlimited, how can I
make as many as possible of the DE &/or WM on the distribution
DVD simply available to experiment with?

Thank you to all who replied. I was able to load multiple DE's/WM's and compare various permutations.

What's the best? I still don't know. The exercise demonstrated that I had misconceptions about Debian "philosophy" and underlying structure [ e.g. led me to read more about package management].