Re: Sound problems on Wheezy upgrade

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 07:58:20AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> FWIW  ...
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > No sound :-( but loads of output.  I cut the longest one short.  See
> > http://paste.ubuntu.com/6112471/
> >
> >> Seeing the output of:
> >>
> >> pactl list cards
> >>
> >> as a normal user would be interesting, though it's a bit lengthy.
> >
> > See:  http://paste.ubuntu.com/6112471/  again.
> >
> > There is a gap between them and they are in that order.
> >
> > Thanks for all your help.
> >
> > Lisi
>
> I think I added mixers until I got one that gave me a master mute
> button and clicked that to un-mute.
>
> I should have tried un-muting from the command line, I think.
>
> I think the problem is that, after the upgrade, it ends up defaulting
> to muted, and somehow the default GUI controls decide not to give you
> access to the master sound control.

Based on the output Lisi provided, I'd say that's the case. The output
from paplay shows what I would expect. It seems to be playing all the
sound files you gave it to play. Same thing for pactl. Though I'm not
a pulse expert by any means, that doesn't have anything obvious that
jumps out at me either. It looks like it is as Joel suggests, your
sound is muted, that's the only explanation I can think of. I know you
tried alsamixer before you installed pulse, but have you tried it
since then? If not, then I suggest you run either amixer/alsamixer,
and see if they will let you unmute sound.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1