Re: Sound problems on Wheezy upgrade

FWIW  ...

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 15 September 2013 21:11:47 Gregory Nowak wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 07:19:17PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> > I'm afraid that I am woefully ignorant about sound, and cannot interpret
>> > anything there.
>>
>> Well, it seems to say that aplay is recognizing your sound hardware. I
>> get something similar when I run aplay -L, but with hardware different
>> from yours of course. Can you try playing a file as a normal user
>> using paplay (E.G. paplay -v file.wav). What happens? Do you get
>> sound? What output does paplay display?
>
> No sound :-( but loads of output.  I cut the longest one short.  See
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/6112471/
>
>> Seeing the output of:
>>
>> pactl list cards
>>
>> as a normal user would be interesting, though it's a bit lengthy.
>
> See:  http://paste.ubuntu.com/6112471/  again.
>
> There is a gap between them and they are in that order.
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Lisi

I think I added mixers until I got one that gave me a master mute
button and clicked that to un-mute.

I should have tried un-muting from the command line, I think.

I think the problem is that, after the upgrade, it ends up defaulting
to muted, and somehow the default GUI controls decide not to give you
access to the master sound control.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.