Re: Sound problems on Wheezy upgrade

Thanks for the reply, Gregory. :-)

On Sunday 15 September 2013 04:31:15 Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 02:58:27PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > The problem has arisen since I upgraded.  Sound was fine in Squeeze.
> >
> > Now, when I run alsamixergui:
> >
> > lisi@Tux-II:~$ alsamixergui
> >
> > I get an error box saying:
> >
> > alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: invalid argument
>
> User lisi is in the audio group, right?

Yes.

lisi@Tux-II:~$ groups
lisi cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev netdev scanner

> > No pulseaudia is installed.
>
> I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it, since at
> least the gnome desktop in wheezy seems to insist on pulseaudio. What
> happens if you run for example amixer as root? If that works, but
> running amixer as a regular user doesn't, then it sounds like a
> permissions issue.

See below.  I'll try installing pulseaudio and see if that helps, so long as
it doesn't try to bring in too much extraneous stuff.

Lisi

lisi@Tux-II:~$ amixer
amixer: Mixer default load error: Invalid argument
lisi@Tux-II:~$ su
Password:
root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# amixer
amixer: Mixer default load error: Invalid argument
root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# alsamixer
cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument
root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# alsamixergui

No protocol specified
Can't open display: :0
root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# su lisi