Re: Closure?: Re: Every 36 to 48 hours, can't send mail via smtp(.gmail.com)--must reboot to recover

On 9/16/13, Randy Kramer <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 14 September 2013 8:15:18 pm Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> On 9/15/13, Randy Kramer <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ... email intermittent on 36-48hr boundary ...

>> I in recent days discovered something possibly of note for you, but
>> probably not - I've been using mail.google.com in firefox, and would
>> swap between two different computers in my house, which would work,
>> then one day it stopped working, as in, I'd use email on one computer,
>> then email would not work on the other computer. I was proxying
>> through a vpn though, to another computer on a different external IP
>> address, and after some time I figured this out. It seems google uses
>> some server cookie binding client login to ip address (which in
>> hindsight is a sensible security choice), and that if I had have
>> logged out of gmail on first IP address/pc, then logged in on
>> laternate ip/pc, then google probably would have been ok with that.
>
> Interesting, I'll have to think about that.
>
> I did note (from your next email) your comment about the possibility of my
> WAN
> address being changed every 36 to 48 hours (due to expiration of the DHCP
> lease), but the WAN connection (to Earthlink) is via PPPoE.  (And I'm not
> aware that PPPoE changes the address--I will watch that though, if I notice
> the problem, I'll check and see if the WAN IP address has changed.)

Here is a quick way to check the particular data point that I believe
could be triggering the google login issue (or rather, non-response,
which is what I was getting when google thought I guess a hacker was
trying to access my account from a completely new ip address, without
a logout/login - my hypothesis anyway):

http://checkmyip.com/

They key is, what is the public-facing ip address, notwithstanding
what eg ifconfig shows you for your ptp link.

Good luck
Zenaan