Re: Closure?: Re: Every 36 to 48 hours, can't send mail via smtp(.gmail.com)--must reboot to recover

Zenaan,

Thanks very much for your response!

I might scribble a few notes below or on your subsequent email.

Just for the record, I should say that my interest in delving deeper into this
problem is both (1) reduced since I've switched back to a static address
(and/or found other ways to avoid rebooting every two days), and (2) is
harder to dig into while the problem is occurring due to its "self
correcting" nature with the static address.

On Saturday 14 September 2013 8:15:18 pm Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 9/15/13, Randy Kramer <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ... email intermittent on 36-48hr boundary ...

> Your problem is indeed intriguing.
>
> I in recent days discovered something possibly of note for you, but
> probably not - I've been using mail.google.com in firefox, and would
> swap between two different computers in my house, which would work,
> then one day it stopped working, as in, I'd use email on one computer,
> then email would not work on the other computer. I was proxying
> through a vpn though, to another computer on a different external IP
> address, and after some time I figured this out. It seems google uses
> some server cookie binding client login to ip address (which in
> hindsight is a sensible security choice), and that if I had have
> logged out of gmail on first IP address/pc, then logged in on
> laternate ip/pc, then google probably would have been ok with that.

Interesting, I'll have to think about that.

I did note (from your next email) your comment about the possibility of my WAN
address being changed every 36 to 48 hours (due to expiration of the DHCP
lease), but the WAN connection (to Earthlink) is via PPPoE.  (And I'm not
aware that PPPoE changes the address--I will watch that though, if I notice
the problem, I'll check and see if the WAN IP address has changed.)

> Possibly worth testing your MUA kmail with an strace log file, and
> view the end of that log as soon as you notice the POP/IMAP stall.

Sure, why not--I've never used strace, so I've started running kmail under
strace with a tail -f running on the output file.  I think it will take me a
while before I have much idea of what strace might be telling me, but it
can't hurt me to learn a little more.  (Well, maybe it can hurt me ;-)

> Possibly set up another email account with say yahoo or use your isp
> email account (eg forwarding/copying all your gmail email, so that you
> know it will have email in it of some sort) and test picking up email
> from this new account, immediately after, and only after, you find the
> gmail pop/imap stops working (so you know there is email in there to
> pick up).

Yeah, much harder now that it seems to self-correct with the static IP
address, but something to think about, either if it recurs or if I develop an
extreme interest in digging deeper into the problem.

Hmm, on the other hand--yeah, maybe I will give that a try, but probably not
very quickly.

> > The problem has been a bugger to deal with, partly because of the 48
> > hours between occurrences.
>
> Because of your high occurrence latency, you might set up two or three
> of these alternate accounts, but at least one alternate account would
> hint at whether it is possibly limited to being protocol (pop/imap) /
> MUA related (and therefore a client side issue), or email server
> specific (gmail).
>
> Good luck

Thanks, and thanks again for your reply and suggestions!
Randy Kramer