Re: Printer brand recommendations

On 2013-09-10, Ross Boylan <rossboylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> --001a11c2be66bf88eb04e60200cd
>
> Short version: Brother doesn't support linux.  I'm considering Lexmark.
>
> I too am looking for a  B+W laser printer.  I just got a Brother HL 5450 to
> replace a 5150 I had.  It fails to print some pages, and I'm sending it
> back because Brother says they do not  provide phone support for Linux.
> They used to have an email address for linux, but a query there produced no
> answer.  It's supposed to be postscript compatible; since there are issues
> I wonder if that's in software rather than hardware.

I have an HL5450 running well under Squeeze amd64.  Perhaps you haven't
jumped through all the installation hoops:

Download debs for LPR driver and cupswrapper driver for HL-5450DN from
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#HL-5450DN%20/%20HL-5450DNT

# dpkg -i --force-all hl5450dnlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
# dpkg -i --force-all hl5450dncupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
It also requires ia32-libs or lib32stdc++ packages to be installed.
Then it can be used as a normal cups printer.

It defaulted to paper size A4.  This can be changed to Letter by
# /opt/brother/Printers/HL5450DN/lpd/brprintconflsr3 -pt LT
and editing /etc/cups/ppd/HL5450DN.ppd:
< *DefaultPageSize: A4
> *DefaultPageSize: Letter

Command line options for duplex are:
Duplex=None or DuplexNoTumble or DuplexTumble
Command line option for printing labels correctly is
BrMediaType=THICK