Re: Printer brand recommendations

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:56:23PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Short version: Brother doesn't support linux.  I'm considering Lexmark.
>
> I too am looking for a  B+W laser printer.  I just got a Brother HL 5450 to
> replace a 5150 I had.  It fails to print some pages, and I'm sending it
> back because Brother says they do not  provide phone support for Linux.
> They used to have an email address for linux, but a query there produced no
> answer.  It's supposed to be postscript compatible; since there are issues
> I wonder if that's in software rather than hardware.

I've had good results with Brother BW laser printers, and
many linux distributions use the same CUPS software that
Apple uses under OSX to manage printing (and released
under a sufficiently free license for Debian).

It's generally true that you don't get much vendor support
for Linux, hence the need to learn a little about the
subject and to haunt (or at least google) the relevant
mailing lists.

Greeetings,
Joel

--