Re: Headers for Debian 3.0.4 on ARM

On 9/5/2013 12:17 PM, Luther Blissett wrote:
On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 23:33 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Hi, all,

I'm still pretty new to Debian, so this may be a *very* stupid question,
but here goes.

I have Debian 3.0.4 (via uname -r) on an ARM processor (after
update/upgrade) and am trying to get the kernel headers to compile a
module for it.

aptitude shows the only headers available are for versions 2.6 and 3.2.0.4.

My sources.list contains:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

Two questions:

1. Why would the kernel be at 3.0.4 when the headers are at 3.2.0.4?

I do not know. Kernel 3.0 was never part of a stable debian distro. It
only came to debian during wheezing development period. The answer to
this question requires knowing how the system was first installed and
maintained.

I wish I knew. I'll have to get back to the engineers to find out where they got the ARM first, though.

2. Where can I find the appropriate headers for version 3.0.4?

kernel.org has 3.0.94 as the most recent stable release of this kernel
gen. You may download from there and compile from source.

If I really have it, I guess I will. However, I'd rather not if not necessary, as noted previously.

Alternatively, how can I update Debian to 3.2.0.4?

with your current sources, apt-get update; apt-get install
linux-image-3.2.0-4{$your_cpu_arch}
linux-headers-3.2.0-4{$your_cpu_arch} (warning pseudo-code).

You will need to reboot after that to start using the new kernel.

I appreciate any suggestions.

TIA,

Jerry

GN

I saw that, but I don't see anything listed for ARM. I'll be the first to admit I'm not real familiar with ARM (I did some PICK programming back in the 80's, but that's about all for embedded systems).

I'm going to read through the debian-arm archives and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry