Re: Headers for Debian 3.0.4 on ARM

On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 23:33 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm still pretty new to Debian, so this may be a *very* stupid question,
> but here goes.
>
> I have Debian 3.0.4 (via uname -r) on an ARM processor (after
> update/upgrade) and am trying to get the kernel headers to compile a
> module for it.
>
> aptitude shows the only headers available are for versions 2.6 and 3.2.0.4.
>
> My sources.list contains:
>
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Why would the kernel be at 3.0.4 when the headers are at 3.2.0.4?

I do not know. Kernel 3.0 was never part of a stable debian distro. It
only came to debian during wheezing development period. The answer to
this question requires knowing how the system was first installed and
maintained.

> 2. Where can I find the appropriate headers for version 3.0.4?

kernel.org has 3.0.94 as the most recent stable release of this kernel
gen. You may download from there and compile from source.

> Alternatively, how can I update Debian to 3.2.0.4?

with your current sources, apt-get update; apt-get install
linux-image-3.2.0-4{$your_cpu_arch}
linux-headers-3.2.0-4{$your_cpu_arch} (warning pseudo-code).

You will need to reboot after that to start using the new kernel.

> I appreciate any suggestions.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jerry

GN