Re: tri-boot debian, debian-without-dm, and windows with newer debian using partitions from older debian?

On Thu 05 Sep 2013 at 00:23:11 +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 19:33 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > Possibly. But why bother? Debian may be a Good Thing - but why do you
> > need more than one installation? If you do, why not just do it?
>
> One for using an OS as a normal user (the one I have currently with
> debian installed) and the other for forcing me to use the shell for
> daily tasks.

"Forcing" yourself to do something is a matter of self-discipline and
attitude. Debian doesn't have packages for instilling those qualitities.
:)

> I just don't want another entirely new version of wheezy again, just
> asking if I can install another debian with all /home, /var, /usr
> and /temp from current installation, so that I can access my files from
> both the installations!

Create two users. One for the undisciplined Anubhav and the other for
his aspiring self. Switching to the console with CTRL+ALT+F2 gives the
second user the opportunity to log in.

As a point of interest: *you* do not have any files on the system; only
a user can own files. A user can, of course, make his files available to
other users.