Re: tri-boot debian, debian-without-dm, and windows with newer debian using partitions from older debian?

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 12:42:31AM +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> Yes, right now I am doing the same, using virtualbox, and enjoying at
> the moment, but then I tend to easily move away from terminal if I get
> stuck at something, and use the gnome environment.

And you're sure you wouldn't find some way of justifying a reboot to
yourself into the version with gnome if you get stuck? My personal
experience is (which of course may not be true for others) that unless
I'm willing to dump the easier way of doing things, I'll always find
some excuse to do something the easier way, rather than taking time to
find out how to do it the harder, but more rewarding way.

Anyway, to answer your original question, I don't see a problem with
sharing /home and /tmp, but I think you're asking for trouble if
you share anything else when it comes time to update/upgrade each
install.

> As I said, I want to force my self into learning linux!

Then my advice to you is to dump the GUI! Yes, I'm serious! All of my
GNU/Linux debian boxes (virtual and physical) are text console only,
with the exception of one machine which has gnome installed. The last
time I used that gnome portion was when I upgraded this particular box
to wheezy, and that was just to make sure that everything
functions. This box was upgraded to wheezy about two months ago. I can
do pretty much everything from the command line, with the exception of
browsing some web sites. I will also admit that I used to be a DOS
user for a few years before coming over to linux. So, picking up the
command line was a natural step for me as a former DOS user. Good luck
on your new learning journey. I can't promise that it won't be tough
to start with, but I really do think you'll ultimately find it to be a
rewarding experience.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net