Re: Thanks

On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 11:24 -0500, Conrad Nelson wrote:
> What's wrong with MATE?

It could cause conflicts with packages from official repositories.

> Xfce hasn't done anything interesting in years, and I've seen
> big bugs in Xfce that still need fixing that are even more glaring than
> most of MATE's.

It's wanted that it doesn't change that much. What are those bugs?

> I like MATE because they've kept the (Excellent.) GNOME 2 desktop alive

No, it's not GNOME2.

> I do think Cinnamon could be loads better, but it's not terrible, either.

Than you don't use a ATI graphics with the FLOSS driver? I suspect you
don't know all important things from GNOME2 and yo never compared GNOME2
and it's forks running top.

> I used to actually be a big KDE user. I still like it but I've found
> it's gone from being one of the fastest, but still flexible desktop
> environments around to being one of the absolute slowest.

Again! The OP is used to GNOME2 and the best replacement to GNOME2 is
Xfce.

The OP shouldn't use

> MATE from its

third party

> Debian repository

At the forums they claim gvfs isn't a dependency for the Debian
repository, but they only support it when gvfs is installed. And
packages could conflict with packages from official repositories.