Re: Thanks

On 09/03/2013 03:08 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 11:24 -0500, Conrad Nelson wrote:
What's wrong with MATE?
It could cause conflicts with packages from official repositories.

Could, could, could. So what? I've seen conflicts of the same nature in the official repositories. Also, in my entire time using MATE on both Arch and Debian, not one of your hypothetical conflicts came up for me. Maybe the issue is not in it being a third party repository but in users doing something ass-backwards with their package management. Not the fault of MATE.

Xfce hasn't done anything interesting in years, and I've seen
big bugs in Xfce that still need fixing that are even more glaring than
most of MATE's.
It's wanted that it doesn't change that much. What are those bugs?

There's not changing that much, then there's being a stale codebase. The reason Xfce never found the success GNOME or KDE had was precisely because Xfce lacked direction or any sort of motivation to keep itself up to date.

I like MATE because they've kept the (Excellent.) GNOME 2 desktop alive
No, it's not GNOME2.

It's a fork of the GNOME 2 codebase. No, officially, it is not GNOME 2. But it is a lot closer to GNOME 2 than Xfce ever will be.

I do think Cinnamon could be loads better, but it's not terrible, either.
Than you don't use a ATI graphics with the FLOSS driver? I suspect you
don't know all important things from GNOME2 and yo never compared GNOME2
and it's forks running top.

Nope, I've either been using nvidia's driver with nVidia cards on desktops or Intel's driver on laptops. ATI still has too much of a reputation for spotty Linux support for me to be confident in investing in their GPUs. I won't deny they've improved a lot, but I still see hit or miss support.

No, I never compared MATE with GNOME 2 on top. What relevance does this have to my point that Cinnamon isn't really as good a GNOME 3 alternative as MATE?

I used to actually be a big KDE user. I still like it but I've found
it's gone from being one of the fastest, but still flexible desktop
environments around to being one of the absolute slowest.
Again! The OP is used to GNOME2 and the best replacement to GNOME2 is
Xfce.

In your opinion.

Despite the fact that aside from name changes and bug fixes MATE *is* GNOME 2, which is what the OP wants.

The OP shouldn't use

MATE from its
third party

So what if the repo is third party? Oh right, because of potential for minor problems. All blindly hail and use ONLY Debian's official repositories. Never mind that until recently debian itself made for TERRIBLE desktops because its repositories left out a lot of stuff most desktop users actually WANTED (Full multimedia capabilities among them.).

Debian repository
At the forums they claim gvfs isn't a dependency for the Debian
repository, but they only support it when gvfs is installed. And
packages could conflict with packages from official repositories.

They've pushed to have MATE added to the official repositories, and got smug arrogant hostility back. This is not their fault.