Re: Resolved - was [Re: Identifying CPU]

On 9/1/2013 9:44 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
>> Richard Owlett a écrit :

>>> If I understand correctly some processors can run 32 bit OSes but
>>> not any 64 bit OS.
>>
>> This has nothing to do with bus width.
>
> Not an entirely separate issue from the address bus width, however.

While it's possible to back track a CPU's ISA from knowing the address
line width, there are far more practical and fool proof methods to
determining the ISA.

> Just for fun, I looked at what this box tells me with lscpu and
> cat-ting /proc/cpuinfo. The relevant lines in the reply are, for
> lscpu,
>
>     CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit
>
> which tells me that it can run OSses in 32-bit mode, I think.

You're making this harder than need be.  Look at the 'flags' data in
/proc/cpuinfo.  If you see 'lm' it's a 64 bit ISA CPU and can run a 64
bit OS.  If 'lm' is not present it's a 32 bit only CPU.  'lm' represents
"Long Mode" which is the operating mode of x86-64 processors that
enables execution of 64 bit instructions.

--
Stan