Re: Resolved - was [Re: Identifying CPU]

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Richard Owlett a écrit :
>> Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>>
>>> So I fail to see why your knowing the "CPU bus width" is relevant to
>>> anything.
>>
>> If I understand correctly some processors can run 32 bit OSes but
>> not any 64 bit OS.
>
> This has nothing to do with bus width.

Not an entirely separate issue from the address bus width, however.

:-P

Just for fun, I looked at what this box tells me with lscpu and
cat-ting /proc/cpuinfo. The relevant lines in the reply are, for
lscpu,

    CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit

which tells me that it can run OSses in 32-bit mode, I think. (We
could talk about data and address register width, but it's more to the
point to talk about OSses running in 32-bit mode.)

and, for cat /proc/info

which tells me I should be able to run PAE. (I am running PAE.)

And, if the motherboard had enough address lines, I should be able to
put in more than 2G of RAM, but the manual says just 2G. So, maybe
not.

Some things in there that might be worth a try if I had the time.

--
Joel Rees