Re: How to get rid of an entry in grub?

On Sat 31 Aug 2013 at 10:08:17 -0700, David Guntner wrote:

> Well, what the heck!
>
> I hadn't run the backup since before the upgrade to Wheezy.  So after
> removing the partition and restoring it, then running it (which now
> backed up my Wheezy system), I got the following when running grub update:
>
> > # update-grub
> > Generating grub.cfg ...
> > Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
> > Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64
> > Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
> > Found memtest86+ image: /memtest86+.bin
> > Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /memtest86+_multiboot.bin
> > Found Debian GNU/Linux (7.1) on /dev/sdb1
> > done

os-prober has once again done an efficient job.

  > > Found Debian GNU/Linux (7.1) on /dev/sdb1

> ...And it's back.  Why on Earth is it finding stuff under /backup and
> treating it like it's actually going to be bootable???

You are thinking of this the wrong way. os-prober is not looking at what
is under /backup but what is on the partition.

> Grub is weird.

A three word statement like that is enough to start the Legacy GRUB and
LILO advocates chipping in. We'll pretend you didn't say it; especially
as it is os-prober which should be outed.

> Well, I guess at least the mystery is solved.  Even if that means I'm
> stuck with an extraneous entry in my boot menu....

Why is it "extraneous"? You have told os-prober to find OSs.