Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.

On 8/30/13, Gary Dale <garydale@velcom.ca> wrote:
> On 27/08/13 01:50 AM, Phi Debian wrote:
>> I use debian and gnome since well the begining...
>> I have it on many nodes, but specially on some server, where many guests
>> run.
>> I was on squeeze sine the begining of squeeze, and decided to try wheezy.

>> I can cope with the questionable gdm3 and all things around, but doing
>> GUI on the rudimentary VGA is not the main purpose of this server, yet
>> it worked, so no problem related with HW graphical board FW.
>>
>> I start a vnc server for my account (vnc4server), and do the setup of
>> xstart the various way, the simplest being starting the gnome-session
>> in there.
>>
>> Then right click on top-panel-->property, color setup plain solid, and
>> kaboom, your vnc session is no longer available , oh no message
>> anybody knows by now, goolge it and it give massive useless solutions.

> I don't even understand why you are trying to do what you are doing. Why
> run a GUI on a server?
>
> If you want to run GUI applications on the sever, why not do X
> forwarding? That way you get to use your remote machine for what it is
> presumably best at - handling the GUI - while letting the server do the
> crunching.

VNC gives stateful gui session. X does not have that.

VNC is like gnu screen, for X. Similar to RDP.

It means he can connect at local server (gui) console, as well as from
remote workstation/desktop (which yes is presumably best at handling
gui).

As to why run a gui on a server at all? Perhaps:
gadmin-samba

Sadly I have never found samba to be easy to set up. I edit files
mostly. I sometimes try gadmin-samba. I've read lots of man pages and
docs.
Never easy to set up. I still have not understood properly the options
I need to understand for my small ngo network, and I've been doing
this for over 5 years.

I'm sure OP has his own reasons though :)