Re: difference Debian, solaris, freebsd

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 06:15:32PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> what are the major differences btw the three OS.
> Debian, Solaris, Freebsd
> i know some command change and stuff. but architecture wise.
> like unix is propitiatory, and freebst is not not blah blah.
>
> but why one should choose Debian or freebsd over others?
> i am a big fan of debian and i have been using it for years, i have no
> doubt about its stability and performance it is rock solid.
> then what is the reason people might willing to use debian over freebsd and
> vise versa
> because both are free.
> stalle. (freebsd unix type)
>  all major server applications like samba,postfix etc are available in both.

I can't really compare Debian to Solaris or Freebsd because I don't have
much experience with them.  But one reason I chose Debian over other
Linux distributions is because of the number of packages available,
which means I don't have to compile much software, if any.  I suspect
Debian has more packages available that Solaris or Freebsd do, but I'm
not sure.

-Rob