Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.

On 27/08/13 01:50 AM, Phi Debian wrote:
Hi All,

I use debian and gnome since well the begining...
I have it on many nodes, but specially on some server, where many guests run.
I was on squeeze sine the begining of squeeze, and decided to try wheezy.

All the upgrade went smooth, and all worked like a charm, so thank you
for all the people who made this possible.

I can cope with the questionable gdm3 and all things around, but doing
GUI on the rudimentary VGA is not the main purpose of this server, yet
it worked, so no problem related with HW graphical board FW.

I start a vnc server for my account (vnc4server), and do the setup of
xstart the various way, the simplest being starting the gnome-session
in there.

Then right click on top-panel-->property, color setup plain solid, and
kaboom, your vnc session is no longer available , oh no message
anybody knows by now, goolge it and it give massive useless solutions.

I tried all sort of trick givin on the net, rm user account redo (that
works I can re start a vnc server and connect) yet still panel setup
crash, I tried all sort of things with dbus, socket, install tons of
useless packages.

Well, desesperate and after loosing a full day on it, I tried ubuntu,
and it cure. It come with its load of problems too, unity and all that
jazz, but all is workable around in a hour, going back to gnome
classic is doable.

So I think it is an adieu for debian It is miserable that all the work
done by valuable volunteers who are crafting a perfect OS for
development with nice packaging, and all the test that goes with, just
be ruined by a tiny questionalbe bits, but very visible indeed, the
GUI.

Well may be this is just the end of an era, may be only .com can
produce valid OS and .org is fading, sad day.

I still have another server to setup, I'll monitor the activity here
for a while in case someone has a solution for vnc4server setup on
wheezy, with the basic test thart works, the basic test beeing
right-click on top-panel-->properties-->[background]-->[x] solid
color->slide [style]

Cheers,
Phi

I don't even understand why you are trying to do what you are doing. Why run a GUI on a server?

If you want to run GUI applications on the sever, why not do X forwarding? That way you get to use your remote machine for what it is presumably best at - handling the GUI - while letting the server do the crunching.

Anyway, it doesn't appear that you're complaining about Debian so much as about a problem with the VNC server. Have you tried a different VNC server? There are lots out there and choosing a different one is certainly a lot easier than installing a different OS.

Meanwhile I continue to use Debian/Wheezy on all the servers I look after. As you mentioned, the upgrades go smoothly and it works well.

Of course, I will admit I don't use a GUI on any of the servers nor do I see a need to do so. When I need to connect to one, I use SSH which is simple and secure. Moreover, forwarding X through an SSH tunnel is fairly straightforward if you need to do it.