Re: What's the easiest and/or simplest part of Linux Kernel?

On 8/28/2013 8:02 PM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 29.08.2013 01:13, Cousin Stanley a écrit :
Ralf Mardorf wrote:

Assembler always is optimized code.

  Not always .... :-)

  One can also write stinky code in assembler.

  Like any programming language,
  some programmers are better at it
  than others ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being

This is something I understood very recently, and the reason for which I
stopped to aggressively disdain Java and C#. The problem is not the
language, it's the language's user. Always. If eclipse is slow, huge and
buggy (in my experience, 2 years ago, it was.), it's not because it's
written in Java, there are very good programs written in Java, and in
Debian, you can find games with graphics of 90s, written in C or C++,
which are slow as hell on a modern computer.

And nowadays compilers can make code better optimized than you could,
too. The question is, what is real optimization? Speed? Size? How many
of one? Or of both?

No, compilers cannot make better optimized code than you can. Who do you think wrote the compiler?

A good assembler programmer will ALWAYS outdo a compiler. The problem is there are so few GOOD assembler programmers around.

Before that, I learn that it was not windows itself which was buggy, but
the softwares I was using. I discovered that last one when I discovered
linux, and had some crashes ;)
Sounds like it's easy to say it's the language/OS 's fault, and never
the programmer's one. Probably easy, but so often wrong.

When you come down to it, it is ALWAYS a programmer's fault (unless you have a computer with an early Pentium chip that had a floating point bug - but even then it was the microcode programmers at fault). Programmers write the OS, programmers write the apps. When they don't work, one or the other (or both) are at fault.

However, there is one other salient point. If the OS is properly designed, no application can bring it down. Windows is better at this now than in earlier version. It's actually pretty hard to crash Windows from an application nowadays.

I think time made me wiser on those points. (funny to notice that when I
was a windows users, I was used to write "window$" and "M$" and other
insulting transformations which are far worse. Stopped that by
discovering another OS.)

Linux is better at this - but still not perfect. It does have the advantage of, since it is open source, more people can look at the source and find bugs. There have been a huge number of patches over the years originate by people who have done just that.

Jerry