Re: What's the easiest and/or simplest part of Linux Kernel?

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:49:29 +0200, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
While I agree with much of what you said, I definitely disagree with your comments on macros. C was probably the 10th or so language I learned, close to 30 years ago. I found macros, when PROPERLY used, can be quite helpful in making code clearer and more understandable. The trick is to know when to use them and when not, to document them well, and most important, pick good names for the macros. Also, the convention of using all caps for macro names is good; it tells the reader this is a macro being used, and not a function call.

+1

I programmed 65xx Assembler with and without macro editor and I suspect that somebody who know what (s)he does when programming in C, can use macros to optimize C code, while for Assembler, it simply is less to type, less to think about, when using macros, Assembler always is optimized code.