Re: What's the easiest and/or simplest part of Linux Kernel?

On 8/27/2013 9:49 AM, guojzzz wrote:

I believe what you said. As people know, Linux Kernel is complex and complicated, it's hard to read, especially for newbies like me.

And I don't think I'm going to debug codes or hack it, I even am not capable of doing so. I can play with Python, Common Lisp and Scheme code, as for C... Not now I think.

Guogzzz,

I think the kernel is the LAST place you want to go, especially if you're not real familiar with C. As you have found, system kernels are large and complicated. Even people with years of experience in C easily get lost when dumped into system programming. And you can't just look at one small part of a kernel by itself; you have to also be aware of its relationship with the rest of the kernel. Acquiring such a knowledge takes time; good books help (sorry, I don't have any recommendations).

There are many other areas you can help out in, though. There are thousands of projects in Debian, each with their own maintainers. And I think most of those projects would be glad to have another programmer, even if you don't have years of experience.

I suggest you look at various projects (smaller in this case *may* be better - easier to understand but less work needs to be done) and find one which sounds interesting to you. Then find the upstream maintainers and ask if they could use another hand. In most cases, I think the answer will be "YES!". :)

Jerry