Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.

On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 10:07 -0500, Conrad Nelson wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 07:22 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 11:55 +0000, Curt wrote:
> >> What a traitor (or not)!
> > "arch traitor" ;) since I prefer Arch Linux and my explanations might be
> > a "traitor's kiss", since I referred to the KISS principle.
>
> I am still a big Arch fan myself. But after a couple years I found
> myself drawn to Debian Testing as the Arch developers (ESPECIALLY Allan
> McRae, the current maintainer for Pacman.) have begun to take a fiercely
> arrogant attitude and a "we know better than you, so shut up" tone
> toward anyone who would question some of their decisions.
>
> The last couple major changes in Arch seemed like changes for changes
> sake as well (systemd, while I really do love it a lot, just doesn't
> seem to fit with how I understood Arch was supposed to work. And I still
> believe to this day that the old BSD-like sysv setup they had before was
> loads simpler to configure.) And I still don't understand the point of
> the lib/bin merges they are doing, aside from the fact it's a blatant
> violation of FHS.
>
> I used Gentoo for a bit, but its problem is the opposite of Arch:
> Whereas Arch is making pointless, unnecessary changes, Gentoo seems to
> be pretty stagnant and stuck in its ways. Gentoo actually is a
> distribution I actually think would benefit very well with systemd.
> OpenRC, though its goals are laudable, I've only ever seen it basically
> just become a sysv-init clone that accomplishes next to nothing new. My
> other gripe about Gentoo was it just got to be just too much work just
> for basic system upkeep. The USE flags were incredibly useful and
> powerful for customizing my packages and how my system would globally
> work, but all too often setting them globally would just result in
> Portage griping and refusing to install software, and setting USE flags
> individually per hundreds of packages is way too much work, effectively
> meaning Portage ended up getting in the way of what was supposed to be
> its own most powerful feature.
>
> I think Debian works pretty well. It's not as flexible or powerful as
> Arch or Gentoo, perhaps, but it's definitely better for servers than
> Arch or Gentoo. But it's not without its flaws. I think Debian's
> obsession with free software conformity is, indeed, a weakness. Before
> you blast me, I'm just going to point out I subscribe more to the
> Torvalds school of thought on open source, NOT the Stallman school.
> Richard Stallman over-politicizes/idealizes the idea of open source,
> tries to make it almost a moral/spiritual thing in a context and
> industry where moral/spiritual choice is as a whole, irrelevant and
> actually pretty counterproductive. For a long time (Until recently, in
> fact.), Debian desktop users had to use third party repositories just to
> get decent multimedia support into Debian. Why? Because Debian
> developers questioned whether over half of the codecs most people needed
> [...]

I agree with quasi most of your reply :). I won't discuss all the
details and where I disagree a little bit. Resume: There are different
ways to handle Linux userspace and that's why different distros are
useful and one isn't really better or worse than another distro.

Too funny, one thing I mentioned off-list is "Btw. startup for Debian is
done by init, for Ubuntu by upstart and for Arch by systemd."

On the Evolution mailing list there's a similar discussion that
hopefully now found an end and hopefully it will find an end on Debian
user too ;).