Re: deb-multimedia repository

On 8/23/2013 5:36 PM, John Hasler wrote:
Dom writes:
I thought the reason that libdvdcss(2) wasn't included in the Debian
repos isn't because of any issues with the licensing, but because it
may potentially be illegal to use in some areas due to the fact the it
cracks copyright protection on media.

It is *probably* legal in the USA for Debian to distribute it.  However,
no one wants to find out the hard way that I am wrong about that, and in
any case it's easy to get it elsewhere.

Actually, probably NOT legal to distribute in the U.S., according to the DMCA. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

Any software or hardware meant to bypass or disable copyright protection is illegal in the U.S.

You can thank the entertainment industry's donations to our fine Senators and Representatives for this - they're the best money can buy.

Jerry