Re: openvpn question

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 04:54:46PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Uhm... Yes.
>
> > # ifconfig tun0
> > tun0      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr
> > 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
>
> Silly bear!  That is the tun device.  Never tunnel the tun device.
>
> > The above is from the VPS, with the openvpn connection from the laptop
> > running. This is a tun device, which doesn't require a MAC address at
> > all to function as I understand it.
>
> Right.  Which does not have anything to do with the way proxy arp is
> set up.
>
> > I thought this over again with my brain fresher in the afternoon than
> > it was last night, and you are right, it would work in this situation
> > as long as the tun device had a MAC address of course.
>
> Do not attempt to proxy arp the tunnel device.  That way leads to madness.
>
> I am going to stop here.  You are good to go.  I am so very short of
> time right now that I don't have more time to play.  Sorry.  You have
> found a perfectly fine way to proceed.  I am sorry I ever mentioned
> any alternative methods.

Ok, though I'll say I'm left scratching my head after reading your
reply. It's as if we're discussing two different things. Maybe we are
for all I know. Don't be sorry you mentioned alternative
methods. Maybe your way of doing something is better than mine, and I
mean this in a general sense. I'd personally rather have a choice than have
no choice. If you feel like elaborating on the above once you have more
time, then by all means please do so.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net