Re: deb-multimedia repository

Hi,

Dňa Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:46:17 +0100 Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
napísal:

> On Friday 23 August 2013 02:04:01 Doug wrote:
> > My complaint is with Debian's politics: if it's not FOSS, you can't
> > have it.
>
> I have non-FLOSS applications on my Debian computer.  I also used an
> unofficial installer that had non-free drivers in.  It was readily
> available, and I learnt about it on this list.  So if Debian is
> trying to prevent us from having non-FLOSS software, it is making a
> very bad job of it.

Sure, the software is not religion. I am using software, which fulfill
my needs, no matter on the license.

The non free software, has some license restrictions.
The first one, which is going to my mind, is redistribution. Another
point, that the most of non free software is often some type of the
addware. Perhaps not really adds the advertising into itself, but
it is often provided with the some type of advertising in the mind.

And i fully agree, that it is not OK to participate on this advertising.

At last, nobody prevent to have the non free software. You are free
to use what you want. Debian only do not provides the easy way to
install it (APT) and you must to search another way to install it.

> As you say, there are other distros.  You are free to use them.
> Debian doesn't restrict you in that either.

The Debian is here 20 years. Here aren't a lot of another distros with
that long history and this is (IMO) meaningful and it is telling
something.

I always read, that the Debian is for experienced users and i get some
silver hairs by this, when i start to use the Debian. And this is
this point - the experienced user can (and know) to install another
software.

> What baffles me, is why you are reading and posting on this list if
> you disapprove of Debian's politics.  It is, after all, the
> *debian-user* list.

Always here will be people, which will try to change the behavior of
the others, not the own one. And, do not forget, that here is a lot of
people, which do not search the freedom, but the free Windows...

And finally, for many people it is a problem to tell "I do not know
something", simplest way is to tell: "You are doing bad work (because
it doesn't work as i expect)" ;-)

regards

--
Slavko