Re: OT: Sanskrit vs Latin (Was: Typing in bar characters (accented characters?)

On 08/22/2013 01:25 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 19:04 +0200, François Patte wrote:
>> As for Latin, it is better to call it an ancient language, it is still
>> the official language in Vatican.
>
> *rofl* my plan was to reply and to ask you, if it's their official
> language, than why don't they provide their homepage in Latin.
>
> The plan miserably failed.
>
> http://www.vatican.va/latin/latin_index.html
>
> English Wiki: Official    language Latin
> German  Wiki: Amtssprache Italienisch (de facto), Latein
>
> I guess I don't need to translate the German Wiki.
>
> I would call Latin a dead language too.

"Official" proclamations by the Pope are written in Latin.
Some religious services are conducted in Latin, particularly
very important ones, like the coronation or funeral of a Pope.
In practice, the language of the Vatican is Italian.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley