Typing in bar characters (accented characters?)

I am helping someone configure their Debian system.  They said they
wished to type in "special" characters.  Which I assumed meant
accented characters.

I had previously read:

And that pointed me off to the very nicely written article:

  http://zuttobenkyou.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/xorg-using-the-us-international-altgr-intl-variant-keyboard-layout/

That seemed to have been the best recommendation.  So I went off and
set up:

  setxkbmap -rules evdev -model evdev -layout us -variant altgr-intl

All worked perfectly as described.  Accented characters are easily
input.  But then the follow-up came back that they wanted to input the
bar characters āēīōū.  And I don't see how to input bar characters
with the above.

Because now I know that specifically they want to input the barred
characters āēīōū what would be possible methods to type those in that
I should recommend to them?

Thanks!
Bob