Re: OT: Sanskrit vs Latin (Was: Typing in bar characters (accented characters?)

On Thursday 22 August 2013 19:15:25 Doug wrote:
> On 08/22/2013 01:25 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 19:04 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> >> As for Latin, it is better to call it an ancient language, it is still
> >> the official language in Vatican.
> >
> > *rofl* my plan was to reply and to ask you, if it's their official
> > language, than why don't they provide their homepage in Latin.
> >
> > The plan miserably failed.
> >
> > http://www.vatican.va/latin/latin_index.html
> >
> > English Wiki: Official    language Latin
> > German  Wiki: Amtssprache Italienisch (de facto), Latein
> >
> > I guess I don't need to translate the German Wiki.
> >
> > I would call Latin a dead language too.
>
> "Official" proclamations by the Pope are written in Latin.
> Some religious services are conducted in Latin, particularly
> very important ones, like the coronation or funeral of a Pope.
> In practice, the language of the Vatican is Italian.

Latin was live in the sense of being spoken until the middle of the 20th
century, but not in the sense of being the mother trongue somewhere.  We have
Greek, of course, from the second millenium before the Christian era up to
the present.

Lisi