Re: OT: Sanskrit vs Latin (Was: Typing in bar characters (accented characters?)

Le 22/08/2013 17:56, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:51:07 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> If you've ever seen the "graffiti scene" in 'The Life of Brian' then
>>> you may use a word other than misfortune. :)
>>
>> As I already pointed out, this is true. Btw. this movie scene does show
>> how Latin does work. Salve vocative et ablative and all the other nice
>> stuff!
>
> If you like all that, try Sanskrit.  It has eight cases, not just six,
> three numbers, not just singular and plural, and more verb tenses than
> you can shape a stick at.  And Sanskrit (from some eras, anyway) has
> German beat for compound words!
>
> And as for being a dead language (no native speakers, used as a second
> language for communication), its important literature was written when it
> was already dead.

Quite wrong! Sanskrit seems to be an "artificial" language: we do not
know, until now, if it was the mother tongue of a population... So the
word "dead" is not usable.

As for Latin, it is better to call it an ancient language, it is still
the official language in Vatican.

What to say of Greek?

--
François Patte