Re: Re: icedove configuration problem

> > The other alternative, especially if you find you're setting up Icedove
> > regularly, is to configure your mail server properly:
> >
> >   https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration#Configuration_server_at_ISP
> >

> "properly"? are you joking? As far as I can see "properly" means
> "according to the wishes of mozilla"... and you want that every guy in
> charge of the internet services of a company will waste his time to
> configure the mail servers in order to fullfill: "The goal of
> autoconfiguration is to make it very easy for users to configure the
> connection of Thunderbird to their email servers."
>
> It seems to be funny or stupid!

I agree. As a user I should not have to suffer through my client
application engaging in unwanted behavior that ultimately fails more
often than not because someone beyond my span of control didn't do
something the developers of the application felt should have been done.

On top of that, any sane user should consider an application that
initiates communication with external sources, without permission, as a
virus. Do not violate my privacy by calling home without giving me the
courtesy of allowing it or not. That's just plain rude.

> Is it so difficult to fill a few lines with the internet address of a
> mail server, name and login id?
>
> And if any user make a mistake? What is the problem? It doesn't work! Is
> it so dangerous!
>
> So called "simplifications" are often very complicated and become the
> hell! Microsoft is the best example: I know only a few people with a
> windows computer correctly configured and fullfilling the wishes of its
> user....

Excellent point. Several years ago I made the mistake of thinking that
Microsoft certification would be an investment in my IT future.
Completing the MCSE requirements only confirmed just how bad that OS
really is, and a lot of the horror comes from their apps taking the
position of knowing what you want and how to accomplish it better than
you do. Just try setting up a DNS server on their server system and you
will see what I mean. It can be done manually, but you have to be a
magician to find any decent howto documentation. That's the Microsoft
way, assume the user is incompetent. Mozilla seems to be headed in the
same direction. That's just plain insulting.