Re: icedove configuration problem

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 05:30:43PM +0200, François Patte wrote:

> "properly"? are you joking? As far as I can see "properly" means
> "according to the wishes of mozilla"... and you want that every guy in
> charge of the internet services of a company will waste his time to
> configure the mail servers in order to fullfill: "The goal of
> autoconfiguration is to make it very easy for users to configure the
> connection of Thunderbird to their email servers."
>
> It seems to be funny or stupid!
>
> Is it so difficult to fill a few lines with the internet address of a
> mail server, name and login id?
>
> And if any user make a mistake? What is the problem? It doesn't work! Is
> it so dangerous!
>
> So called "simplifications" are often very complicated and become the
> hell! Microsoft is the best example: I know only a few people with a
> windows computer correctly configured and fullfilling the wishes of its
> user....
>
> --
> François Patte
> UFR de mathématiques et informatique
> Laboratoire CNRS MAP5, UMR 8145
> Université Paris Descartes
> 45, rue des Saints Pères
> F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
> Tél. +33 (0)1 8394 5849
> http://www.math-info.univ-paris5.fr/~patte

To be clear, this procedure *does not* require modification of your mail
server's configuration. It requires a XML file at
autoconfig.example.com/mail/config-v1.1.xml with the correct information
for your mail server (IMAP and SMTP).

An example - http://autoconfig.staticsafe.ca/mail/config-v1.1.xml

I looked into this recently because a client was looking for
autoconfiguration, I am happy to say it works quite nicely.

According to Mozilla's wiki, Evolution, Kmail and Kontact use the same
system as well.

The ideal system for autoconfiguration would be the usage of SRV records
in DNS, and I hear there is some work in that area already.
--
staticsafe
Please don't top post.