Re: Loopback filesystems for mail storage

On 8/18/2013 12:16 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> PS: My suggestion to use git as an email filesystem store was in jest.
> ZFS however is a serious consideration for myself, for TiB+ size
> filesystems at least.
> BTRFS and perhaps XFS are starting now to look at the
> internal-consistency assurance problem too finally (from what I read a
> month or so ago), due to necessity as we now hit multi-TiB
> filesystems.

FYI, a few 100+ TB XFS filesystems existed over 10 years ago.  Since
then there have been hundreds of XFS filesystems in production of many
10s of TB, and more than a few over 100TB.  Consistency checking for
silent corruption isn't a prerequisite for very large filesystems, but
it is better to have it than not.

The XFS team have completed much of the work to implement CRC
checksumming.  The new superblock and on disk format have been
introduced along with many of the required kernel and user space
patches.  Some work remains and more testing.  Full implementation
should hit a stable upstream kernel within a few months I'd guess.

--
Stan