Re: Loopback filesystems for mail storage

On 8/18/13, Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 02:52:05AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> In GahNU, answer find you :)
>>
>> But you ought to do your bit and find duckduckgo while you're at it.
>
> I am doing some searching myself, but I did want some opinions from
> the list. Thank you for sharing your opinions.

All good.

I am also interested in the indexing side. Please do let us know what
solution you find which works well for your email storage volume.

About 6 years ago I encouraged a friend to move from OutlookExpress to
Thunderbird, for libre reasons, and for getting familiar with software
which is cross-platform to GNU/Linux.
They had about 3GiB of OutlookExpress files, with many folders, and
Thunderbird I think managed to import them all, BUT was significantly
slower for searching and everything, so they could not practically
make the switch at the time. They were running an 2000-era Pentium4
2GHz, 1G RAM, 120G laptop HDD.

It is so long ago I don't remember the details, but perhaps
Thunderbird indexing is better now, and perhaps some fine tuning such
as the suggestion in this thread to use mbox files, could help. I
might contact my old friend and ask if they'd like to try swapping
over again.

An open question for me is whether an imapd server side indexing
solution might solve this type of performance problem (running locally
on ones laptop that is). A quick search shows up:
dovecot-solr - Solr full text search support for Dovecot

Good luck, and I do hope you find a great solution to large mailbox
storing and searching!

Best
Zenaan