Re: Loopback filesystems for mail storage

On 8/18/13, Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 09:59:57AM -0400, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
...storing email in single file...
>> One approach I thought of is a loopback file. That makes things
>> simpler, since I don't really have to repartition, and backing up is
>> rather easy. So, here are my questions:
>>
>> 1. What is the best filesystem for Maildirs with several tens of
>> thousands of messages?

C'mon! Too easy:

git
:)

>> 2. Is there a massive performance hit if I use a file mounted as a
>> loopback filesystem, rather than a physical one?

Getting easier:
no

>> 3. What filesystem would allow quick file access? I'd like to be able

Already said, git. But if you want another answer:
ZFS

>> answer, I'd appreciate a pointer to a resource that I could read.

www.google.com
:)
Try also, zfsonlinux or something...

> 4. Would it be easy to enlarge/grow a file that contains a filesystem?

Yes.

Easy with ZFS. Easy with LVM "ahah!", easy with dd :)

dd of=$NAME bs=$SIZE count=0 seek=$SEEK
(note count=0 for sparse file creation (and probably expansion too -
perhaps someone can verify) use seek= instead,
also use appropriate "fast format" or "do not zero blocks" options in
filesystem, and voila!, automatic expandable filesystem have you!)

In GahNU, answer find you :)

But you ought to do your bit and find duckduckgo while you're at it.

Good luck
Zenaan