Re: Quoting Style

Hello,

Bob Proulx a écrit :
> Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
>> Industrial standard I think is, top quoting and styled email.
>
> Not on technical mailing lists!  The standard is conversational
> quoting.

Thanks, I missed such an expression to describe proper quoting.
Top posting sucks.
Bottom posting sucks even more : it's the same as top posting, except
that you must scroll down to read the reply.

>> This is the way my Thunderbird is set.  Mail list requirements are
>> the reverse as I well know.  Therefore, I have to adjust Thunderbird
>> to these requirements.

I did not have to adjust anything but plain text. Proper quoting (i.e.
NOT bottom posting) does not require any adjustment.

> What version of Thunderbird are you using?  It is true that old
> versions had some issues.  But if it is a recent version it should
> "just work".

Old versions just did not have the "reply to list" command. However you
could use "reply to all" and edit the recipient list. It's not such a
hassle unless you post heavily to mailing lists.

>> The material above my reply is blue.
>
> Blue?  You mean as in html email?  Colors will be lost entirely when
> reading the mail as plain text.

Some mail/news readers such as Thunderbird can apply different color and
format to quoted text. This makes reading much easier.