Re: Quoting Style Re: Installing mysqldump

Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:
> Industrial standard I think is, top quoting and styled email.

Not on technical mailing lists!  The standard is conversational
quoting.  Here are some guides that I just now found after a quick
search.

  http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et090402.htm
  http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/mail-news-errors.html
  http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html
  http://www.holgermetzger.de/netscape/usenet.html

> This is the way my Thunderbird is set.  Mail list requirements are
> the reverse as I well know.  Therefore, I have to adjust Thunderbird
> to these requirements.

What version of Thunderbird are you using?  It is true that old
versions had some issues.  But if it is a recent version it should
"just work".

> To get unstyled, shift+write.
>
> Start email. Replying, unstyled, requires the send again option
> [CTRL+E].

That is the root cause of the broken mail thread problems.  By
re-sending a previous message you are re-sending the previous headers
too.  This is what is causing threading to be so confused.  Now I
understand the previous thread breakage.

Please do not re-send previous messages after editing them.  Instead
simply list-reply to them.  I am pretty-sure that Thunderbird will
reply to the list appropriately.  But regardless you need to allow
Thunderbird to set up the threading properly.  Just do the normal
thing and follow-up and let Thunderbird do the right thing.

> The material above my reply is blue.

Blue?  You mean as in html email?  Colors will be lost entirely when
reading the mail as plain text.  Think about people using screen
readers.  Plain text is the standard.  I am one of many reading the
plain text content and any html color will be invisible to me.  Even
if I were reading the html I would be rendering it into a terminal and
so still would not see any colors.  And also html email is listed
specifically on the list of things not to send to the mailing list.