Re: Migrating 32 -> 64

David Christensen wrote:
> I agree that it's very hard to justify spending money on obsolete
> hardware.  I must have subconsciously assumed the OP had a spare
> Gigabit NIC (I have a couple in my spare parts inventory).

I agree with all of the above sentiment.  Sometimes you just have to
let go of the old hardware.  But I was responding to a thread talking
about adding a network card.  Maybe I should have said _if_ you are
going to put another network card in the box _then_ stop there.

Note that it wouldn't need to be a GigE card.  It seems to me that any
old 10/100 card should be enough for this machine.  I prefer the old
tulip based cards like the Linksys etherfast ones.  If you ask around
to your friends or a local user group you can probably find one of
those laying around unused that they would give you for free.  And
that removes the cost part from the equation.

> Without a free NIC, I'd probably: back up the old box (burn to
> optical, use external drive, whatever), build the new box, move the
> old HDD into the new box, and proceed from there.

Moving the old hard drive to the new machine for a local disk to disk
copy to the new drive should be easy.  I guess that depends upon the
vintage of old disk though!  But if I had an old 20G disk and had just
bought a new 1T disk then I would certainly simply image the old drive
onto the new one and set the old drive on the shelf as a backup for a
while.

In other thoughts... I agree that there isn't a reason to upgrade a
particular system from 32-bit to 64-bit.  If you have a 32-bit machine
then I can't see any reason to upgrade to a 64-bit machine.  I still
have many 32-bit machines.

However if you are building a new 64-bit machine with today's
inexpensive ram and are putting 8G or more ram into it then I would
definitely recommend using 64-bits for the *new* system given that it
has much more ram in it.  The PAE kernels are fine.  But nothing is as
simple as a large flat address space.  Firefox is quite the pig.  I
have routinely killed it on my machine when I have seen that it is up
around 2G in memory size.  I think it is only a matter of time before
Firefox will routinely bump against the 3G limit.  Especially now that
almost every web site is more Javascript and image intense than
before.  Past history being the imperfect predictor of the future.
This will eventually be a 32-bit issue for FF to lean out.  But of
course a 64-bit system won't have that limitation.  I still would not
recommend (yet) to migrate an existing system from 32-bit to 64-bit.
Maybe for Jessie it will come together however.  I think that is
actually very likely for Jessie.

Bob