Migrating 32 -> 64

I have a low-cost (i.e. old and refurbished) server at home, but it's
showing indications of impending hardware failure (e.g. the on-board NIC
was being reset automatically every 2 seconds for a while because it was
hanging). As a result, I have purchased a new (old and refurbished)
machine. The difference is that this one has an x86-64 whereas the old one
is 32-bit.

Ideally, I'd like to move the HD from the old one to the new one, boot, and
tell it to upgrade all the packages for the new architecture. Is it that
easy? Are there complications I need to watch out for? Is there anything I
should do to prepare before moving the disk (e.g. must I replace LILO with
grub)?

--Greg