suhosin and php 5.4

I had installed php to brush my skills up. Upgrading to Wheezy left suhosin in /etc/php5/conf.d, and my logs get a pounding. So I look it up and see that php5.4 is not compatible, that php5.3 was considered too dangerous for naive users to use without suhosin, that parts of suhosin have been rolled into php5.4, and that suhosin is essentially not maintained for php after 5.3. (Funding and project organization issues, apparently.)

My solution is easy until I actually need to brush up my php, but I'm wondering what others here are doing relative to php's unbridled nature.

(I'm inclined to continue to prefer real perl.)

--
Joel Rees