wodim and LITE-ON dvd

I can provide a little help for anyone using one of these internal dvd
writers and wodim but I'm not sure it'll be worth it.  Wodim is too
brain-damaged to even detect the model of LITE-ON DVD I have installed
however since it's on /dev/sr0 when wodim is given a pointer to the drive
it does detect the drive's presence.  A quick way to find what you have
and where it is hanging out without wodim is the lsscsi package.  As
things stand I actually have a LITE-ON coaster burner installed in this
machine when wodim gets involved.  I think I'll get a friend to switch the
LITE-ON drive onto a slackware box and switch the dvd drive on the
slackware box into the debian system and see if results change on both
machines.  Slackware still uses cdrecord so this one ought to be
interesting.  If the LITE-ON DVD fails in the debian machine, then my
going assumption is a manufacturer's defect.  I've had opc failures, error
5 sense failures, and one instance of fixating failure with this drive
using several manufacturer's DVD's.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> About to block another web browser version?
Ask yourself what Tim Berners-lee would do.