Re: avahi-daemon: Is it *really* needed?

> Yeah, and the best and most correct way to do that is to use the
> aforementioned:
>
>   update-rc.d avahi-daemon disable
>
> avahi no longer uses a ENABLE flag in /etc/default/avahi-daemon. Those
> flags are a hack and the above menthod is much better.

Personally I disagree in that I believe it should be straight forward
and not be time consuming to edit a systems configuration whilst it is
switched off (etc on another system). Even moreso an annoyance for me
with gconftool/gsettings compared to .fvwmrc etc..

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)