Re: Hardware support

On 29/07/13 12:31 PM, sean Griffiths wrote:
Hello and Good Day,

Please can you tell me if Debian squeeze 64 bit accepts more than 4GB
ram, ie 8GB? I have a Dell Latitude D6200 and am in the process of
upgrading to a D6300 which will accept 8GB maximum RAM and Dell actually
sell these 8gb Memory modules (2x4gb), even though in the beginning they
stated it's max was 4GB. And so knowing that the machine itself has no
problems accepting it, I just need to make sure that Debian 6.0.7 64 bit
will accept it, because these RAM modules are not on the cheap side! -
about 150 uk pounds for the pair.

The other thing, just out of curiosity really, is to do with NVIDIA
chipsets. Apparently the D6300 with the NVIDIA chipsets don't last long.
And I think that maybe it is the pressure of using Windows, especially 7
or 8, on the chip that is the problem. So, am I right in thinking that,
even using compiz, Debian is still going to be lighter on the graphics
chip, than of Windows?

Thankyou

--
Sean Griffith(s)

Yes it does.

re. NVidia, the proprietary drivers should be similar. It would depend on the use you put it to. The open source drivers probably don't use the chip to the same degree.