Re: no xorg

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, sp113438 wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 20:36:37 -0700
> Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Jul 2013, sp113438 wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I did a fresh minimal install of wheezy
> > > I could not add xorg afterwards.
> > > I am not going to install bla bla bla
> > >
> > > So I had to reinstall wheezy with desktop from tasksel
> > >
> > > That did the job
> >
> > I started my Wheezy as a minimal install, too.  But ...
> >
> > Did you set up the Debian repositories?
> >
> > After which, did you do an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade"?
> >
> > Then, "apt-get install xserver-xorg-core" and "apt-get install
> > xinit"?
> >
> > Then install whatever GUI metapackage you want?  For example:
> > "apt-get install xfce4"  will install xfce4. Or "apt-get install
> > gnome". Or "apt-get install lxde".
> >
> > Always read the manual first. I do.  You'll have a lot less
> > problems.

> I did not do:
> apt-get install xserver-xorg-core and apt-get install xinit
>
> I was thinking
> apt-get install fluxbox would do the job

One would think so, but it doesn't; however, it used to.  Years ago,
with a minimal install of Etch, I just installed xfce and X and all
necessary files were installed.

> Anyway, it's too late to check out myself since I installed Sid ;)

Just remember when updating to use dist-upgrade instead of regular
upgrade to have the most current files installed instead of just the
"fixes" for old installed files.