live-build questions

Hi all,
don't know, if I may ask these questions here, but I allow me to do so.

1. How can build a new iso, when I already did a live build?
(in case, when there are new package versions available)
lb clean and lb clean --binary did not help. The second build started again,
hen I did a lb clean --purge - but then I have to download all the packages
again! And I do not want to download 3 GB again and again.

2. How can I add my own configurations in the build?
I want to add my own xorg.conf and my own 50-synaptics.conf

Thanks for any help.

I already checked the live-build manual, but not everything was clear for me
(i.e. I did not understand, what the docu meant with "stages")

Best regards

Hans

P.S. The build was a kali-linux vuild.