Re: any utility to change ip

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 01:31:46AM -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 07/17/2013 12:53 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> >> man ifconfig
> >
> > it's now iproute2: ip addr xxx vvv
> >
> > --
> > RMA.
> >
>  I didn't find iproute2, but doing man ifconfig brings up a message
> that this is obsolete, and to see ip addr and ip link.
>
> Looking at the man pages for either of these shows each to be 1000 lines
> or more, and, while I tried a batch of suggested commands, I
> obviously don't understand what's going on. In no case did I get
> anything useful.
>
> What I'd really like to see is something like this:
>
> 192.168.1.100		HPLaserJet 2200dn
> 192.168.1.101           Epson WP4530
> 192.168.1.104		TV Blu-ray player

Try "ip neigh". Theis will show your "neigh"bours on the network.
That is, hosts for whom you have ARP or NDISC cache entries. You'll
get an entry like:

  192.168.2.36 dev eth0.1 lladdr xx:xx:xx:30:65:6c REACHABLE

You can then lookup the manufacturer of that network device (the
xx:xx:xx portion) to give a clue as to what the device is.