preseed root password with !

Hello,

I would like to have the root password set to "!" in order to disable it. For that I found the following documentation in the Debian installation guide:

"The passwd/root-password-crypted and passwd/user-password-crypted variables can also be preseeded with “!” as their value. In that case, the corresponding account is disabled."

Reference: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs04.html.en#preseed-account

So I added the following config parameter in my preseed file:

d-i passwd/root-password-crypted password "!"

It works but the funny thing is that in /etc/shadow it exactly gets added with the double quotes as such:

root:"!":15902:0:99999:7:::

I would like it just to have ! without the quotes so I tried the following in my preseed file:

d-i passwd/root-password-crypted password !

With that parameter it does not work, the debian installer stops and asks me for a root password...

Any ideas what's wrong? maybe a bug? Btw: I am using Debian 7.

Regards,
M.L.