Re: *Another* Backup software question...

On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 18:53 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> Have a look at:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open

I read this already when the thread started.

Regarding to cassette tapes of what kind ever, I only have good
experiences with

- professional video recorders
- professional or at least home recording recorders, that use consumer
  analog cassette tapes

With those drives a tape never was damaged. YMMV.

I've got bad experiences with

- consumer video recorders
- consumer cassette tape recorders
- consumer DAT recorders and I heard about the same issues when using
  professional DAT recorders

YMMV.

So I suspect, that those drives, without revolving heads could be safe,
but also unsafe regarding to the costs of such a drive. Using several
external HDDs at home perhaps is less expensive, but not less safe.

I'm sceptic.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Who is the target group? Obviously it isn't a minority. I neither know
any migrant nor any German listening to this, but somebody does buy